Monday, July 5, 2010

Cookies, Cupcakes and Chocolate Croissants




I don't have a huge sweet tooth and am rather particular about eating sugar infused food so I tend to only eat cookies that Ross has made and sweets that we put together so I know exactly what I'm eating. Well, I don't have the luxury of being able to bake here. I can't read any Norwegian and all measurements and directions would probably cause havoc so I've been reduced to my cravings. I asked around and the one place that was recommended was Rosenborg's Bageri. Norwegians don't have the same concept of bakeries as we do in America, or maybe the rest of the world for that matter. There was such a lack of choice in the sweets department, I was rather dumbfounded. Hence no pic of said selection, which was about maybe 10 items, most of which I couldn't really eat because I don't enjoy glaze or sugar coated things. There were no cookies, cupcakes or chocolate croissants to be found. I settled on a pretzel like croissant with a lemon flavored dose of sweet stuff. The croissant part was good but the lemon stuff just tasted like white sugar, not too sophisticated. I guess I'm going to have to suffer though this sweets hankering til I get to London in two weeks.



And our visit to the fish market, was a bit of a disappointment as well. In the third largest city in Norway, the main fish market is smaller than the fish dept. at Wholefoods. At least the guy who worked there was nice enough to explain what all the different kinds of fish burgers were to us. le sigh*

5 comments:

Luba Petamaki said...

In the “Way of the Traveler” Joseph Dispenza has written: "A friend told me ... (that) when she feels the call to journey, she consciously moves from one spot to another. That is all! She stands in one place in one room of her house and mentally calls that "home". Then she walks slowly and carefully into another room - to a spot that she has designated "the destination". ...the act of moving from one place to another - from "home" to "destination" - is a microscopic rendering of the entire journey. It changes your perspective on the world in a fundamental way: things look different from one place to another, and also along the way to and from places. Doing this activity with mindfulness is tantamount to taking the trip, at least in symbolic terms."
It would be really interesting for me to read your reflections on how being able to travel to all these far-away places has affected your work over the years. What inspirations, insights you have gotten from being able to work on your projects away from home, how interacting with another cultures has influenced you/your body of work – on a deeper level (beyond subject matter, beyond sight seeing and all other pleasantries that traveling gifts us with/any of us). I guess, what I am asking is what are you capable of doing, seeing, perceiving now (living/working, albeit for a short while, far away from home) and after traveling to so many diverse places as opposed to staying at home and working. How it has changed for you – if it has – as a photographer and as a person? Best regards! Luba

nina corvallo said...

Hmmm interesting. Well I guess the fishmarket might only carry local fish and thus is smaller.
I hope you make it to Germany in your travels, because Germans (generally speaking of course) are not the best at most foods, but excel at baking and dessert.
Also have you tried Bakeri in Williamsburg? It is owned by a Norwegian girl named Nina, quite good :)

nina corvallo said...

ps: if you haven't been I think we should go when you get back :)

Rona Chang said...

Luba, I'll try and respond to your comment in another post.

Nina, when I'm back let's meet up at the Bakeri in Williamsburg since I've never been and maybe we can get Maria to meet us if she still has that apt. I haven't met her little Charlie yet!

I think Germany is def. my next place to visit in Europe. I've been trying to get to Berlin on this trip but my budget is a bit tight and prices keep going up!

nina corvallo said...

sounds like a plan!