Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Packing Light

I'm off today for my first ever trip to California- San Francisco to be exact. I'm so excited! I was packing last night and worked really hard to get my stuff into two small bags for a week's worth of Fall travel that includes jacket, sweater, pants, camera and film. My small backpack has a padded back and it is divided into two compartments. The bottom compartment serves as a padded camera bag. I have my medium format camera, battery chargers, phone, digital camera, documents in this section. (It's a great Tamrac bag that I spied on Maria and bought last week for all the upcoming trips I have). The upper compartment is small but I have managed to put my lead film bag with about 20 rolls of film in there. I also stuffed a bunch of random balls of leftover yarn in there and some crochet needles and a small pair of scissors so I can start crafting for Christmas on the plane (no books, too heavy and I wouldn't be able to concentrate from my excitemet). I also have an inflatable pillow smooshed in so that I can actually sleep on the plane without breaking my neck- oh so important. On a side pocket, I tucked in my sonicare toothbrush in it's case- it is a tad bulky for one item but I really love my sonicare and hate doing without it. The other bag is a citrus green soft nylon-ish bag that I got in Thailand that zippers up. I have stuffed, really stuffed two pairs of pants, six shirts, socks, underwear and toiletries in there. I eliminated the deoderant- don't worry, you won't have to smell me plus I almost never smell (that's the truth), and it just takes up too much space! I packed a mini toothpaste from my dentist, dental floss, q-tips, facial lotion with spf, body lotion, a razor and a shampoo that came in a tub (waterless) that I got for Christmas last year. I also packed a foldable duffel bag that I might use on the way home if I buy anything in San Francisco. The guide book, map, a sketch pad, and some printouts are tucked in a side pocket. I even did my mile-long walk through the park this morning with my bags, so they were definitely light and comforatble. I thought I might share some tips:

1. Wear the bulkiest stuff on the plane including your shoes that take up the most volume.
2. Bring a couple of packets of emergen c's. They keep you nice and healthy so you can enjoy your trip.
3. Bring clothes that can be worn more than once (this rule does not apply to sock and underwear).
4. Wear a jacket with pockets (zippered if possible) so that your most valuable possissons (passport, wallet, ipod) can travel to the bathroom with you while on the plane.
5. If you are checking in bags, tie a ribbon or some kind of identifyling marker onto your luggage. They can all start to look the same after you've been on a long flight and you can mistakenly take someone else bag, which would be awful. Although I am fairly trusting of fellow passengers, I have witnessed a passenger getting off the plane with a stewardess' rolling carry-on, then being confronted by her at immgration because she had put a little stuffed animal key chain type thing so she could identify it.
5. Drink plenty of fluids so you don't dry out. I usually keep lotion and lip moisturizer close at hand. Also get up every so often so you can get some circulation. Enjoy your trip!

No comments: