Friday, October 10, 2008

Apple Cake

My friend Wilson turned me onto the food blog, Smitten Kitchen, a couple of months ago. Her husband takes gorgeous photos and she makes delicious looking food. What's not to love?

She posted a recipe for apple cake that looked so heartbreakingly good that I had to try it. Plus we've been getting a batch of apples every week from the CSA.

You should really check out Smitten Kitchen's photos for real inspiration. Here's a shot of my version from the top.



My changes: I used a 9x13 baking pan and it worked out fine. I'd maybe cut the time down 5 minutes. I used 8 small apples (don't know what kind- from my CSA). I substituted one cup of white whole wheat flour (doesn't sound right but that's what it says on the package) for one of the cups of all-purpose flour. For the batter part, I only used one cup of (brown) sugar, instead of two. The batter was pretty thin so there was only one layer in my cake. And I added the walnuts that were optional. Result? Great fall recipe that is really handy for all those apples from apple picking and the CSA. I would definitely make it again.

No comments: