Sunday, October 25, 2009

Gray, White, Wood and Red


Wood Rona Chang

Sooo, I've been thinking about renovating the new apartment to be. It'll be three more weeks until I close and can get in and make actual measurements. It's been half a year since I've been inside the apartment. I took some photos but not enough. I have some room measurements that we made when we tried to figure out the square footage of the apartment but I don't have a floor plan. It's a bit frustrating this whole process is taking such a looong time. Good thing I was distracted and living in Mass. for most of the time.


Angled Wood Rona Chang

These photos are exteriors of barns from Hancock Shaker Village which has been a huge design inspiration. I'm dreaming of redoing the floors in a herringbone pattern or just an angled pattern but in reality, I need to get into the apartment and see if the parquet floors need to be redone. My recollection is that they are fairly scuffed up, but maybe they really aren't and I don't need to spend a ton of time and energy to redo the floors.


Red, White Rona Chang

While I will be on a budget, the one renovation I know I can afford is to repaint the whole apartment. It's now in hideous colors of puke (I'll post some photos to demonstrate). It's a darker apartment than the current one I'm in. It's on a lower floor and has less windows. I want to brighten the whole place up. So going back to yesterday's post about wanting to be Scandinavian- I really am going to pursue that wholeheartedly. I want to paint just about everything white. But I am thinking about dark grey- charcoal grey with red, a mustardy yellow, and a medium colored wood as accent colors with bits of neutral colors like flax and heather thrown in.

We have a great long yellow couch from the 50's that's sitting in P'burg right now that will be making the move into the new place. I'm thinking of pairing it with that rich charcoal grey wall I'm dreaming of, along with my Poul Cadovius shelving. We also have a flokati rug that I may or may not lay down. It does seem a bit hairy to upkeep. I guess we'll decide on that when we get a good vacuum cleaner.

I guess I'm just putting together some ideas for now and will figure it out slowly as we go along. I plan on doing all of this reno on a budget and green by getting as many of my supplies as possible from Build it Green NYC. I think lots and lots of apartment posts will be forthcoming.

No comments: