Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Summer reading

Two weeks ago, J gave me Atonement, by Ian McEwan to read. It was better than I expected, a bit wordy in the beginning but interesting throughout. She also gave me a copy of the movie, which I saw this weekend. Unfortunately, that was a disappointment. The acting was pretty good, but the directing left more to be desired.

This morning, R gave me Murakami's new memoir, What I talk About When I Talk About Running. I read the piece ( an excert from the book) he had in the New Yorker a couple of weeks ago and put the book on my wish list. It's exactly what I wanted. Thanks for spoiling me. What a sweet gift. Thank you!

2 comments:

nina corvallo said...

what did you think of the cinematography in atonement?

Rona Chang said...

The cinematography was beautiful, but almost too beautiful. The sun was always setting with amazing skies and the colors hyper-saturated. I would have opted for muted tones to depict the torment of the war.